January 14, 2011

Chocolate Banana Snacking Cake

This summer and fall I put the bananas in my freezer to good use. I stock them up for banana bread and discovered a chocolate banana cake that I really, really enjoy. My normal banana bread could be considered quasi-healthy, but with all the chocolate and sugar in this recipe it would be considered more like a snack or dessert.


It was hard deciding which picture to use as the crazy sunshine from my kitchen window was almost overwhelming, and if I waited, there wouldn’t be much left to photograph.

This is a nice moist cake that is easy to make in one bowl (even though you’re probably not supposed to). I’ve used different forms too; using a bundt pan makes it seem a little more posh than it is. The rise is really nice and it isn’t too dense or heavy. The flavours are also nice and balanced, not too much banana or chocolate.

I’ve been trying recipes from the Complete Gluten-Free Cookbook by Donna Washburn and Heather Butt for a bit now and this one so far is my favourite.

Chocolate Banana Snacking Cake (makes 9-12 servings)
2/3 cup sorghum flour
¼ cup quinoa flour
2 tbs tapioca starch
1 ½ tsp guar gum
2 tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
1 cup mashed bananas
¾ cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
¼ cup water
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
Combine dry ingredients then set aside. In a large bowl beat bananas, sugar, oil, water, vanilla and egg until combined. Add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Spoon into a pan and smooth out. Let stand for 30 minutes. Bake at 350° for 35-45 minutes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment