August 12, 2010

Wrap it up

A while back we were having dinner with family and friends (taking a break from all the Buck & Doe preparation) at the Red Dot Cafe in Osgoode. Our cousin chose the venue because they like the food and it has a gluten free menu (I have no review to write, but everyone liked their meal, so I recommend it). I got a salmon wrap and was impressed, especially by the tortilla. Apparently, they’re common and can be purchased at Loblaws.

On my next shopping trip I popped into Loblaws and headed for the freezers in the Health Food section and picked some up. These Brown Rice wraps are made by Food for Life, a Californian company, and are quite pliable and have the same taste and texture as the wheat-based counterparts. I’ve used them mainly for sandwiches, but last night we had burritos.


The Honey, who is a diehard carnivore, loved the zucchini and pepper burritos from Mollie Katzen’s The Enchanted Broccoli Forest. I halved the recipe and it gave both of us 1 ½ big burritos. And to make it easy, I put everything into my food processor to chop it up. Simple, fresh, and tasty.


 Today I got to come home for lunch as my class was early today (7:30-10:30 – Hello coffee!!) and made myself a wrap with Dijon mustard, mixed lettuce, smoked salmon sprinkled with pepper and dill. Delish!


Zucchini & Pepper Burritos
Makes 12, 30 minutes to prepare
2 tbs olive oil
1 ½ cups onion, minced
6 cloves garlic, minced
¾ tsp salt
1 large bell pepper, minced
5 small zucchini, diced
1 ½ tsp ground cumin
1 tbs dried basil
1 ½ tsp dried oregano
Cayenne and black pepper to taste
1 1/3 cups grated cheese
Heat the oil in a large deep skillet. Add onion, garlic, and salt and sauté over medium heat until onions are soft. Add the pepper, zucchini, and seasonings. Stir and cook until zucchini is beginning to soften. Remove from heat and stir in the cheese. Fill tortillas.

0 comments:

Post a Comment