August 15, 2010

Cats & Dogs

This morning I woke up to the rolling thunder and constant rhythm of a hard rain. There weren’t any loud crackles or booms, just the sound of bowling balls off in the distance. Yesterday, the weather was perfect; sunny and not too hot. It was ideal for playing in a golf tournament that has become an annual event in the Honey’s family. The weekend before had also been wonderful as we went out for a drive (discovering Constance Bay) and hiking on the trails in Gatineau Park. But as we peeked out the window this morning we knew there would be rain all day. We needed it, but I was hoping to procrastinate from doing my end-of-program-report a little more by getting outside.

With a grey sky it was a perfect time for pancakes. I don’t make pancakes very often; usually because they don’t turn out (I have trouble boiling eggs too). But I felt like them this morning. I pulled out a new gluten-free cookbook – it’s the only thing I’ve made from it so far, so no review yet – and set to work. The recipe is really easy and I adjusted it a bit this morning as I didn’t feel like having an egg yolk being pushed around in my fridge and added extra almond milk. I also got adventurous half way through and added even more almond milk to thin out the batter to make gluten-free crepes.


Once they were topped with maple syrup I was set with my gardening magazine and coffee for the next hour. I guess rainy days aren’t too bad.


Gluten-Free Pancakes
Makes 8- 4” pancakes
½ cup sorghum flour
¼ cup brown rice flour
¼ cup whole bean flour
¼ cup potato starch
2 tbs sugar
½ tsp xanthan gum
2 tsp baking powder
2 eggs
1 egg white
¾ cup milk
2 tbs vegetable oil
In a bowl combine all the dry ingredients. Mix well and set aside. In a separate bowl beat eggs, milk, and oil until combined. Add dry ingredients and beat until almost smooth. Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Pour batter onto skillet and cook until bubbles form on the top. Flip and cook for another minute, or until bottom is golden. Grease skillet between batches as necessary.
*can use 2 eggs + 1 cup milk and leave out the egg white
**almond milk works great
***add extra milk for crepes

0 comments:

Post a Comment