August 17, 2010

Oh, the ease of it all

Currently I’m working/experimenting with a gluten-free flour mix. I don’t normally like mixes, such as for pancakes, cookies, etc. Even the full-on regular gluten versions rarely entered my cupboards. But I’ve been trying out one of the mixes used in Gluten-Free Baking Classics by Annalise Roberts. In her book she uses 2-3 different kinds of mixes depending on the type of recipe, and I’ve been using one of them for my quick breads and loafs. So far I’ve had quite a bit of success trying out some of my regular recipes, and the success rate is fabulous when I remember the guar gum.

Here it is, give it a try if you like. The original mix called for potato starch; however, I prefer cornstarch. I’ve been using an equal amount to what the recipe calls for with regular flour. And don’t forget the guar gum!


Rice Flour Mix from Gluten-Free Baking Classics
brown rice flour (2 parts) 2 cups 6 cups
cornstarch (2/3 part) 2/3 cups 2 cups
tapioca flour (1/3 part) 1/3 cup 1 cup
Mix in a container and voila!

0 comments:

Post a Comment