August 30, 2010

White Sandwich Bread

The loaf of bread I made the other day has turned out pretty good. Of course, I’m always disappointed when the bread isn’t light and fluffy like regular wheat bread, but that is something I’m learning to live with. And in experimenting with different recipes, I find ones I like and don’t like. Even without this gluten allergy I’d still be testing recipes.

I mentioned the other day that I made a new recipe from a new gluten free cookbook. I was unsure how it would stand up to sandwiches. It seems most I make stand up to toasting and a pile of jam, but never tomatoes, veggies, etc. Well, this one has. It made it through a toasted tomato sandwich with Dijon mustard. It didn’t fall apart nor get soggy. It’s a keeper! It tastes pretty decent too so I’m passing along the recipe.


I have a Black & Decker bread machine with a gluten free cycle so I used that and needed to add 10 mins of baking time at the end (a little extra baking time was needed). With a regular bread cycle, the recipe suggests using the dough cycle, then the bake cycle for 60 mins at 350°F. The recipes come from 250 Gluten-Free Favourites by Donna Washburn and Heather Butt.

White Bread Mix
Makes 3 ½ cups (enough for 1 loaf)
1 ¼ cups brown rice flour
½ cup almond flour
½ cup amaranth flour
½ cup quinoa flour
1/3 cup potato starch
¼ cup tapioca starch
1 tbs xanthan gum
1 ¼ tsp instant yeast
1 ¼ tsp salt
Mix all ingredients together

Sandwich Bread
1 ¼ cups water
2 tbs vegetable oil
2 tbs honey
1 tsp cider vinegar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 egg whites, lightly beaten
3 ½ cups white bread mix
Add ingredients according to your bread machine instructions.
If using the gluten free cycle, increase the water to 1 ½ cups. Bread is done when it reaches 200°F.

0 comments:

Post a Comment