August 29, 2010

A Meal Before a Meal

This evening we’re off to my in-laws for a birthday dinner for the Honey. She’s got a BBQ planned, and as always, I’m a tad concerned what I will be able to eat. As a vegetarian I usually end up with salad and potatoes, and some raw veggies beforehand. Since I eat fish my mother-in-law will often have a frozen salmon fillet for me, microwaved until it resembles leather. Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate the effort. But I always leave hungry. I understand I have a larger appetite than many other women. In fact, my university buddies would comment in awe on what I could pack away while still retaining an athletic-type build. But with my in-laws, I’ll say its age. I’ve heard that as people age they don’t eat as much.

As a result, I have something to eat before I go. I started this about a year ago after stating my frustrations to the Honey. He suggested having a bite before venturing there and I must admit it was a brilliant idea. Today, those little eggplants were calling me along with a peanut sauce that is lip-smacking. Both recipes come from the Moosewood Cookbook and are meant to go together, but I find the peanut sauce is also great for Pad Thai, and anything else that might benefit from it. My sister recently tried it and won’t go back to a bottle Pad Thai sauce.



Chinese Peanut Sauce
Makes 1 cup
½ cup good peanut butter
½ cup hot water
2 tbs GF soy sauce
2 tbs sugar
3 medium garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp cider vinegar
1-2 tbs cilantro, miniced
Cayenne to taste
Place peanut butter in a small bowl. Add the hot water and stir patiently until uniformly mixed. Stir in remaining ingredients and mix well.


Eggplant and Peppers in Spicy Peanut Sauce
Serves 6                 30 minutes to prepare
1 medium eggplant, unpleeled and cut into 1x2” pieces
1 large bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 recipe Chinese Peanut Sauce
Bake eggplant until tender (about 15 minutes). During the last 5 minutes add the pepper to the baking tray. Cool the vegetables to room temperature then add the peanut sauce.
* With the return of summer temperatures I sauteed the veggies so I didn't have to turn on the oven

0 comments:

Post a Comment