June 2, 2013

Things Are Cookin’



After avoiding my cookbooks for most of the last 4-6 months (aka being too lazy/tired to cook) I have re-entered the kitchen with motivation. With the chilly weather earlier this week I made a delicious lasagna with some gluten-free lasagna noodles (will be posted at a later date) and we began an early weekend with some gluten-free poppyseed French toast. It was so good The Honey and I couldn’t resist gorging ourselves. There were four pieces leftover for my breakfast this morning and it tasted just as good as on Friday. I remember regular French toast getting all hard and gross when it was reheated, but that didn’t happen. I’m sure banana bread would be just as tasty.

The French toast recipe comes from Joy of Cooking and I had added some extra milk since I was going to slice up the whole poppyseed loaf, but I don’t think I was necessary. There was enough liquid to coat my 8x4’ loaf. The slices for the loaf can’t be too thin otherwise they’ll break once drenched in liquid, but they also can’t be too thick otherwise the centres won’t warm up while cooking.


A fabulous idea may be to make a batch one evening and warm some up each morning for breakfast before work. My colleagues would be so envious knowing I had delicious French toast for breakfast, and on a weekday too!

French Toast
2/3 cup milk
4 eggs
2 tbs sugar or maple syrup
1 tsp vanilla
¼ tsp salt
Sliced bread of your liking

Whisk together milk, eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt. Heat a large skillet and dip the slices of bread into the liquid until coated, then place onto the hot pan. Repeat and add as many slices to the pan as will fit. When they brown on one side, flip them over, then to a warm plate when browned on the second side. Serve with maple syrup.

0 comments:

Post a Comment