March 12, 2012

Waffles, Waffles, Everywhere



It seems as though spring has arrived. The rain late last week washed away much of the snow in our yard, including my bunny’s footprints. The days are getting longer and the mornings are getting brighter.


Soon we’ll have beautiful sunsets and a few funky ones too (like this one last fall).


Our little girl is even feeling the change. Not only is she shedding more and more with each passing day (and one of us saying ‘I thought you vacuumed?’), but she is spending more time pacing the house instead of sleeping most of the day away.


I’m also feeling a bit of a change and needing a bit of a break from cereal. As much as I love my Mesa Sunrise Maple stuff, I needed a break. I had some delicious Liberté yogurt with cherries and another with blackberries, but my tummy started rebelling. I started thinking about easy breakfasts and some berries in the fridge. Waffles were in order. Now before you get all excited about homemade waffles, don’t. I keep it simple and these guys come from the freezer section.

My favourites are Van’s and seem to be available wherever a gluten-free freezer may lurk. With some sliced up strawberries and covered in maple syrup I was good to go for the morning.


I had also picked up some waffles by Kinnikinnick. They aren’t as easy to find, but the Metro in Barhaven usually has a nice variety of gluten-free foods in their freezer section. I mashed up some raspberries and again poured on the maple syrup. There’s nothing like real maple syrup (especially when it comes from the family farm!). These are a bit finickier in the toaster, needing a little more than the usual toaster time - but not too much otherwise they’ll burn.


Maybe I’ll see how long I can go before I encounter waffle-burnout.

0 comments:

Post a Comment