October 29, 2011

Caramelized Onion & Olive Tart

Like many people, I’m intimidated by pastry. I’ve heard that I have no reason to feel this way, yet I am. When I make a tart it isn’t a beautiful creation and isn’t ‘perfect’. Instead they look a little rough around the edges, ‘rustic’ maybe. This skill may improve the more I make them and who knows, I may just have to ask for some tips from some of those around me who do it so well.

This recipe simplified things and Donna Hay used store-bought caramelized onions. I’ve never seen jars or cans of caramelized onions at any store I’ve been into, and besides, making them is so easy and pretty cheap. To caramelize onions all you need to do is slice your onions and quarter them (so the pieces aren’t too stringy). Heat some butter or oil in a deep pan and put in the onions.  Stir them up a bit, breaking them up. Then leave them be on low heat for an hour or so. It’s nice to put them on and forget about them. But don’t actually forget about them. I did and they were quite brown (luckily they still tasted the same).


Caramelized Onion & Olive Tart   (from Style at Home December 2010)
Roll or pat out some gluten-free pastry into a tart or pie plate. Spread with caramelized onions. Top with sliced black olives and shredded mozzarella cheese. Bake in a 200° oven for 20 mins. Sprinkle with grated parmesan. Serve with a salad or cut into small pieces for an appetizer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One step away from a pissaladiere I think. Any chance of adding anchovies to it?  ツ

Pickles said...

Ohhhh that would be good!

Post a Comment