September 2, 2011

Summertime Salads

I may have mentioned before how much I enjoy salads, especially when the ingredients are fresh. As a kid I would have happily eaten the salad instead of the piece of meat put on my plate. My salad and vegetables were eaten first and the meat last and reluctantly (and sometimes not at all). I had my first Greek salad at the age of nine and to this day I still remember it. It was wonderful. To this day I still love Greek salads and don’t have them enough. Luckily for me I recently had all the right ingredients at home.

Another favourite is with tuna for a punch of protein. The Honey likes it too and if that’s a way for him to eat salad, then I’m all for it. It becomes an easy lunch to put together (canned tuna helps) and is usually ‘tossed’ by the time we get to work. With a whole bunch of healthy and fresh goodies, plus the tuna, we can’t help but feel healthy as we munch away.


Traditionally, Greek salad is lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, black olives, feta cheese, and a vinaigrette dressing. But of course, regional varieties exist.


With salads you can put whatever you like on them (I put radishes on my Greek salad because that’s what I had).


*In regards to canned tuna: Check the ingredients for what you want or don’t want with your canned tuna. Some are packed with vegetable broth, oil, or water.

0 comments:

Post a Comment