September 4, 2011

Burgers on the Barbie

The Honey and I have enjoyed many BBQ days this summer and it’s been rather interesting having burgers. It’s been a long time since I had a real burger and I was hesitant to try. With success and enjoyment at a few restaurants with gf burger patties I decided to try one on our own backyard BBQ.

Metro sells beef patties in their meat counter and the nice thing is that they are only beef – no herbs, no added fillers, no added flavours, and no gluten. I realize I can make the same thing at home, but one step at a time. I’ll try eating it before mushing it in my hands for burger patties. The patties are also nicely priced at around $4 for four. I love loading on the mustard and homemade relish (homemade by someone else), just like my pre-vegetarian days. I’m not sure which I enjoy more, the homemade relish or the burger.

As the last long weekend approaches I’m reminded that I’ll need to pick some up or I’ll be out of luck. That happened to me the Canada Day long weekend. Being unable to get to the grocery store until later in the evening (I could have gone, but groceries in a hot car didn’t seem like a smart move) and the meat counter was empty. Even the posh cuts were slim pickins. I made my way to the freezer section knowing I was in for a challenge. Box after box was read then returned to the shelf. I asked myself ‘Why is there wheat in burgers?!’. Finally I found some that were safe. Metro’s Irresistibles Life Smart Lean Sirloin Beef Burgers are gluten free.  I took my chances and I was fine. The Honey’s only complaint was that they didn’t brown up as nicely as the regular patties. I’m guessing they use extra, extra lean beef to give it the healthy label. Otherwise The Honey and I enjoyed the taste and texture. A call to Metro later in the week confirmed that these boxed burgers are gluten-free. There is gluten on the line for other products, however.


With burgers there is normally a burger bun and I’ve gotten used to living without buns so I have no issues with putting my patty beside my salad or vegetables. On a recent trip across the border I picked up some Schär white rolls.


This is a German company that has been making gluten-free products for a long time. I’ve seen their products here in many of the health food stores, but the price has always deterred me. For this trip I couldn’t resist, especially at the price three-something for a package of four!


They are quite nice and have good texture. They also hold up to a burger and all the fixings really well – no falling apart or getting soggy! On my next trip I may stock up.

0 comments:

Post a Comment