June 28, 2011

Luscious Red Rhubarb

I love rhubarb. I love it love it love it. I really wish we had a patch of rhubarb in our garden, but until we redo our yard, there is no point. I wouldn’t want to have it then dig it back up. Rhubarb doesn’t take too lightly to being moved and it takes a few years before you can start picking it. Until then I have to suffice with what I find at the market.


A few neighbours have it in their gardens and I have yet to muss up the courage to ask if I could take a bunch. I don’t think they use it as it often goes to seed. Whenever The Honey sees me shaking my head he says ‘It’s only rhubarb!’ exasperated with my love affair. I grew up with a monster patch of rhubarb in our garden and missed it when we moved. Every summer, until I was sixteen, would see me pulling out a bunch of stalks and sitting either in the grass with friends or on the back porch munching away. Did I mention I love rhubarb?


I have a big stack of rhubarb recipes and every summer I make my way through a bunch, deciding whether or not it’s worthy of keeping. And every summer I stew some. It’s great for breakfast, on vanilla yogurt or ice cream, or topped up with some crumble and warmed up.


Stewed Rhubarb    Makes 4 servings     (Five Roses)
2 cups rhubarb, cut into 1-inch pieces
¾ cup sugar
1 tsp grated orange rind
¼ cup water
Place rhubarb in a saucepan and sprinkle with sugar and orange rind. Add enough water to prevent burning (usually ¼ cup). Cover and simmer gently until rhubarb is soft, about 20-25 minutes. Taste and add more sugar if necessary.

0 comments:

Post a Comment