April 9, 2011

The Shortbread Bakery

A few weeks ago I visited Canada Blooms in Toronto with my mom. We had a lovely day together checking out what’s new in gardening and see some great things for the home. What we didn’t expect to see were some food vendors, especially one with gluten-free wares.

I’m always hesitant to try shortbread. My nana made the best shortbread – mellow flavour and a cookie that melts in your mouth. In the past I’d often been given a box of shortbread from people who knew I liked it, but unfortunately the shortbread they gave me was often rock-hard. It was no different when we walked up to The Shortbread Bakery. They had samples so I couldn’t be too disappointed, could I? They had gluten-free shortbread, so I thought ‘Let’s give it a go’.


I put a little piece in my mouth and was blown away. It was a tender cookie that melted in my mouth. It also tasted like the real thing. My nana would be impressed because I definitely was.

While The Shortbread Factory is not a gluten-free bakery, all their gluten-free shortbread is made on a Sunday when no other products are being made, lessening the chance of cross-contamination.


Located in Richmond Hill, just a stone’s throw north of Toronto, Robyn Kay prides herself on using natural ingredients and recyclable packaging. This energetic woman asks ‘Can love be expressed through a cookie?’. Yes, Robyn, it definitely can.


Robyn is currently looking for a place in Ottawa to sell her cookies, so if you know of a store that could benefit from The Shortbread Bakery, drop Robyn a line via her website. Check out the locations in South-Western Ontario that currently have her products, and if you’re in that area, definitely pick up a box. You won’t regret it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment