April 12, 2011

1-2-3 Gluten Free

In my bag of goodies from Homesense a while back were two boxes from 1-2-3 Gluten Free, a mother-daughter company based in Ohio. Their products are made in an allergen-free facility and are kosher. Their website has lots of information and recipes for using their products different ways.


First I made the Divinely Decadent Brownies which were super easy. It seems redundant to say, but I’ve actually used mixes that were surprisingly complicated. Here you added the eggs and butter to the mix and poured it into a pan. You can’t get any easier. The brownies were soft and chewy, in a good way, and the chocolate was nice and rich. My only complaint, and it may totally be my fault, is that you couldn’t take them out of the pan while warm. I’m not a brownie aficionado and have never been a die-hard brownie lover so I thought I’d take them out while warm and see what it is that makes people say ‘Mmmm brownies right out of the oven’. I still don’t know because they kept falling apart. So I waited and was patient and the patience paid off. They were perfect.


Next was the Southern Glory Biscuits. These were awesome and were gone in a day or two. The directions have you roll the biscuits out, but being lazy I used a large spoon and dropped them onto a baking sheet. They were light and fluffy and tasted wonderful. The biscuits were a perfect accompaniment to soup. Sealed in a bag they stayed fresh and kept their texture for the second day. There were additional recipes inside the box to change it up, 7 in fact! All used the basic biscuit mix a different way. The cinnamon buns were tempting.


These were really good mixes, especially the biscuits (I wish mine were that light and fluffy). I had never seen this brand before so I didn’t know if the price was really good or too much ($7 at Homesense) and while it seems a little steep, if I needed something quick and easy, sure, why not. Since many of the mixes from my Homesense goodie bag are American I may keep my eyes open for them next time I venture across the border – who knows when my next trip may be.

0 comments:

Post a Comment