January 24, 2011

Gluten-Free Mexican Brownies

One day, while on a bacon run for the Honey, I saw something that looked delicious. I had to take a second look, then I had to ask some questions. I couldn’t believe it. Baked goods at a butcher shop, and to top it off they were gluten-free.

I couldn’t resist.


These aren’t your typical brownies. They have a bit of heat, hence they’re called Mexican Brownies. I’d never tasted anything like it. I had to get the Honey’s opinion and he approved (a little surprising given that he’s a bit of a traditionalist). I really like the contrast of these from other brownies. Also, they aren’t super sweet or moist. I enjoy the firmer texture of them. They’re different.


During the summer I bought these quite often, then I needed to take a break. With my own brownie making I had brownie overload (I didn’t think it would be possible, but it was!). Then I didn’t see them for a while. One day, on another bacon run, I asked the cashier if they had stopped making them. They still did, but she said I could always ask if I didn’t see any (and I assume they would take an order for them).


Next time you’re taking a walk in Wellington West (Hintonburg/Westboro) pop into Saslove’s to pick some up to try. It’s nice to try something a little different.

0 comments:

Post a Comment