September 24, 2010

Down in Funky Town

I’ve returned to a bit of a funk this week. The weather has been relatively horrible; cool and rainy. I can’t seem to shake a chill that has crept its way deep down into my bones. Yesterday I was concerned I was coming down with something. Cup after cup of herbal tea couldn’t warm me up, and neither could cover with blankets on the couch.


I met a friend for breakfast yesterday morning and she’s in a bit of a funk too. It doesn’t seem like I’m the only one, the toilet is acting up and the element on the dryer quit last night.

Do moons need to be aligned in some sort of way for things to happen, well, as it should?

It’s been a while since I had some bread so I baked myself a loaf in the handy bread machine. This recipe is from the Joy of Cooking, which surprisingly, has a few gluten-free recipes in the bread chapter.



Sliced, then toasted and spread with some pesto. Then topped with some sundried tomatoes. An easy lunch for when I don’t feel like having much and it was tasty. Simple and tasty. It also made a perfect grilled cheese.



GF French Bread
2 ¼ cup brown rice flour
¾ cup tapioca flour
¼ cup potato starch
2/3 cup nonfat dry milk
2 tbs sugar
3 ¼ tsp xanthan gum
1 tbs egg replacer *
1 tbs + 2 tsp quick-rising yeast
¼ tsp salt
¼ rice vinegar
1 egg
2 egg whites
1 ½ cups warm water
2 tbs melted butter
Mix according to your bread machine directions. Using the gluten-free cycle my machine needed another 45-60 mins baking time.
*1 egg replacer=1tbs flaxseed and 3-4 tbs water
(Can be used to make 2 baguettes by just using the dough setting and baking in an oven. Check the website for more detailed directions).

0 comments:

Post a Comment