July 17, 2013

Conference Goodies



One of the great things about conferences (especially ones that discuss food related stuff) is that there are usually ample food products, and the recent Celiac Conference was no different. And of course I left with bags full of goodies. We were off to a good start with our conference bags with mixes from El Peto, cereal and granola bars from Nature’s Path, cookies, cheese puffs, chocolate, and a few packets of gf soy sauce (those would be handy for travelling). There were also some useful pamphlets and cards from celiac-related businesses.


Many vendors in the Gluten-Free Marketplace had goodies for sale, but I had to limit myself because I was flying and luckily, I scored big time.
 
Being a pierogi lover I had to pick some up from Winnie’s Gluten-FreeFoods in Waterloo. The potato and cheese pierogies were full of goodness. Now in the picture, they don’t look as good as they could, but that’s my fault. I had let them thaw before cooking.

 

With my European background I grew up with rye bread and gf rye whether called ‘unrye’, ‘mock-rye’, or ‘wannabe rye’, was never up to snuff. However, Tia’s Bakery in Cambridge does a very good job. Although I’ve said it before about other gf ryes, Tia’s tops them all and is by far the best gf rye I have ever had. Another upside: She’s in my hometown and now when my mom visits, she can bring me some.

 

Although it was tempting to scarf one down right away, I picked only one (yes one) cupcake from SweetTemptations in Aberfoyle. There were so many to choose from and I finally settled on a peanut butter and chocolate cupcake. It made it through till Sunday as an afternoon snack and it was devine.



For breakfast the following week ‘Karma’fins were my indulgence. The Belgian chocolate and banana muffins were rich, dense, and healthy. They also contain one serving of fruit & veg and 7g of protein. Lastly, they tasted good and filled me up for the morning. Now to find them around here…

 

Now the Conference Marketplace also gave me a goodie bag containing a bunch of stuff including a box of Chex cereal. I’d tried the gf Chex before when it first came to Canada and it didn’t impress me. This new honey nut version is better and has more flavour, and of course, a ton of sugar. I’ll eat it, but I’m not sure I’ll buy it. Maybe I will if I’m stuck.

My sister, who arrived at the end of the day, also scored some All ButGluten focaccia, which is pretty good. It’s not the real thing, but it’s pretty close. She also came away with a few loaves of Kinnikinnick’s latest bread (both a loaf of white and multigrain) which don’t need to be toasted to taste good. I tried a few slices and they were good, but with a potato issue I couldn’t have too much. Instead The Honey enjoyed them in his lunch-time sandwiches.


The last goodie that I came home with was carefully bubble-wrapped and softly packed in my suitcase. It was St Peter’s G-Free Beer. My sister and I came across this by accident at the LCBO while looking for a gf Belgian beer that was advertised in our conference bag. I first tasted this at the Risotteria in NY and instantly fell in love. Upon returning from that trip I asked, every so often, the LCBO to carry it, but to no avail; and of course I found it in Toronto. I came home with six bottles and only have two left. It seems hit and miss in finding it here in Ottawa, and the LCBO product locator doesn’t seem to help either. I’ll either have to order it by the case or buy it in that quantity when I see it. And the taste? Like a good English ale (and no not the flat warm stuff). It has body and flavour; just what I’ve been missing.


0 comments:

Post a Comment