August 28, 2012

Doh-nuts


Having Homer Simpson in my head, I just couldn’t figure out how to draw out the ‘o’sound without it sounding like dewnuts. Doughnuts (with proper spelling) are as Canadian as can be and most Canadians have one alongside their ‘double-double’. If your daily routine includes a trip to Timmy’s, you may feel a bit at a loss. Maybe, like you’re missing out on something. If you’re a doughnut lover, you may be right; but you’re in luck.

Kinnikinnick, maker of great gf items, also makes doughnuts. Usually found in the freezer section alongside other gluten-free products, their doughnuts come in chocolate and cinnamon sugar. Each box contains 6 doughnuts and at first, it seems a little pricey. But once you think about it, seriously, what does a Timmy’s doughnut cost these days (and depending on the last time you had one, they may have changed quite a bit)?


I was skeptical at first, but was pleasantly surprised. In fact I think I like these better. I had been expecting something dry and heavy, and probably quite bland, but it was the opposite. They were tasty and enjoyable. The only downside: they were so good that the box lasted only 2 days. These would make a nice treat for a road-trip or camping (or anything else for that matter). The doughnuts also happen to be dairy and nut free. While the box does say to keep frozen, I left mine on the counter to thaw and they were fine. Really, who wants to eat a cold or defrosted doughnut?

It’s been a long time since I last had a doughnut (high school after a summer of working at Timmy’s part-time), so I don’t have much to compare to. Either way, they get a thumbs up.

If you want a posher doughnut, contact Marysol at Edgar. She made some fabulous gluten-free pumpkin doughnuts in the fall. After hearing about it on CBC, I rushed over the river and bought the last few. Heavenly! Just like everything else she makes.

Pumpkin Doughnuts from Edgar

0 comments:

Post a Comment