July 7, 2012

Elk Burgers


Ahhhh, finally a chance to relax. I finished with my government student last week and am back with the summer program for the next 5 weeks. Week one has gotten off to a glorious start – great teachers working together, happy students, and outgoing monitors. And I can’t forget the great admin people on staff; my boss included. It was so nice to do things throughout the week on my terms instead of last minute details that ‘had to happen 10 minutes ago’ or chasing after teachers.

Now that my planning is done for my student and her supply teacher and the summer program is under way I actually have time for myself. The Honey and I actually had time to think about what we’d do with our Saturday. What a luxury! No work, no emails, no gardening, no hiding from the heat. Heavenly.


Thinking about what you’re going to do on a beautiful weekend? Why not head out to one of our region’s wonderful farmers markets. No too long ago I picked up some delicious elk burgers from Elk Ranch; perfect on the BBQ. I didn’t do anything special to them as I wanted to taste them as they were; just added a little herbed butter. It was quite the treat especially with some sliced greenhouse tomatoes (they should be arriving at the markets soon), mozzarella and a sprinkle of basil.

Steakhouse Butter (Chef Michael Smith from The Best of Chef at Home)
½ cup butter, softened
2 tbs finely minced shallot or red onion
1 clove garlic, finely minced
1 tbs finely minced parsley
1 tbs finely minced thyme
2 tbs red wine vinegar
A sprinkle of salt and pepper
Mix all the ingredients together. Place the butter in a log formation on a piece of plastic wrap and roll it once so it is almost covered in plastic. Continue to roll it and twist the ends a bit so it pushes all the butter tightly into the log formation. Refrigerate for several hours. Serve a slice over perfectly cooked steak.

0 comments:

Post a Comment