April 15, 2012

Sautéed Broccoli with Garlic and Tomatoes

Last night I returned home exhausted. Once or twice a month I do language exams and after listening to people speak and assessing them, I was beat. Yesterday was draining as most of the candidates were at a fairly low level, were very soft spoken and it was like pulling teeth in getting them to speak. It was one thing in just assessing their language, but also strain to hear them and figure out ways to make them talk (without deviating from the script). It was too much. My mind kept wandering and I had trouble concentrating. The chocolate bar I brought for a quick energy boost disappeared as the afternoon wore on. The bus ride home just seemed to go on forever; and it’s only 10 mins! All I could do was hold my head up and rest against the window. By the time I got home I just wanted to sit down with a glass of wine. My head felt so heavy.

Dinner was a requirement and I needed something that wouldn’t take much effort and be healthy. I needed something that felt clean and wouldn’t weigh me down. There was broccoli in the fridge and it seemed to be calling my name. I had some nice garlic and sundried tomatoes and that would do it.


This is really easy and in summer it’s perfect with fresh produce. But in April, I have to do with what’s at the grocery store. Simply cut off the florets of broccoli (you could slice some of the stems too) and wash them. In a large pan, heat some olive oil and then toss in the broccoli and cover. The water left of the broccoli creates a little steam and the pan sautés them a bit (but be careful, the oil can get a little angry because of the water). After a minute of two add a few cloves of sliced garlic, a handful of sundried tomatoes, ground pepper and some dried oregano. Stir and cover for another minute or two. Serve with some grated parmesan cheese.

With my glass of wine, it really hit the spot. With something healthy in my tummy, I just let my mind become numb with silly Sat night tv.

0 comments:

Post a Comment