January 23, 2012

Mini Cupcakes


Traditions are rampant in The Honey’s family and given that they have lived in the same general area for generations and generations, I’m assuming it was pretty easy to pass on traditions. One of them is gathering at the ancestral farm for Christmas. The aunt and uncle who now have this farm open it up to siblings, cousins, nieces and nephews, and grandchildren, and of course to those like me who have married into the family. The family continues to grow and they continue to welcome everyone every year (the aunt says she’ll continuing hosting Thanksgiving too as long as she’s still kicking). Coming from a very small family it is both amazing and frightening. It’s wonderful to see so many family members gather for a holiday, yet it is so many people in one area.

There are many helping hands for Thanksgiving as it is a giant potluck, but Christmas is different and it is difficult to have your offer accepted. Given that my family is so dessert orientated I decided to take some mini cupcakes with us and people could munch throughout the afternoon. Weeks before I had found a red velvet cupcake mix at Homesense. It was a new-to-me-brand called Heartland Gourmet and cost $5.99. I was already doing a bunch of other baking and thought this mix might be nice and easy to put together between more complicated cakes; and it was.


The cupcakes were moist and tasty, especially with a nice cream cheese icing. The only complaint is the box didn’t list how many cupcakes it would make. I assumed a dozen regular sized cupcakes – meaning 24 mini cupcakes. It made 24 mini cupcakes and 3 big regular sized ones (the regular ones were for The Honey and I).


Red velvet cupcakes seemed to be all the rage this past year so maybe I’ll look around for a recipe and make them from scratch. Until then, this mix will do the trick.

0 comments:

Post a Comment