December 21, 2011

Mincemeat Tarts


My nana made mincemeat pies and tarts every year for Christmas. Of course there was a lot to eat at her house for Christmas dinner, but you were also expected to take either a few pies or a few dozen tarts home with you too. Even though my parents divorced when I was a young child, my nana would still want me to take some home to my mom. In her eulogy I mentioned how hard it was to leave her house empty handed as one would always be loaded down with loaves and jams after every visit. Family couldn’t help but laugh in agreement.

Her mincemeat recipe is cherished and a family secret. It is so good that one of The Honey’s aunts likes it even more when we stay in Ottawa for Christmas as I always take her a few tarts. I make her mincemeat every year, usually enough to get me through the season. And trust me, I eat enough mincemeat during the holidays that I don’t have any inkling for it until the following November. While I’m not going to divulge my nana’s secret (I’d probably be excommunicated for that), I will tell you about another great mincemeat that you can use and one that tastes like homemade.

President’s Choice 5 Minced Fruits mincemeat is wonderful and tastes likes it’s homemade. I’ve tried others and they don’t compare (to this or my nana’s); in fact, they don’t even come close. An extra bonus is that the PC mincemeat is gluten-free (many oddly enough, are not). 


I’ve used this on a few occasions when in a bind, like the recent celiac association dessert party (mine was still frozen solid) and everyone loves it. There are two kinds – a vegetarian (suet-free) and regular (with suet) – and they taste exactly the same.

Luckily, there were a few tarts that wouldn’t fit on the plate and I have to leave them at home. Almost nothing more perfect with my morning coffee and a little cream (or rice milk).


0 comments:

Post a Comment