November 20, 2011

Ch-ch-chimicurri

I had never heard of chimicurri until I read The Butcher & the Vegetarian where Tara Austen makes it to put on some steak. Ever since then I’ve been hearing about it from all over the place –in the paper, magazines, at restaurants, colleagues – really, everywhere.

Not sure what it is? Don’t worry I had no idea either and I think the best way to explain it is: like pesto, but with parsley and vinegar without the cheese and nuts. It comes from Argentina where people serve it with grilled or roasted meat. The garlic and onions give it a bit of kick, while the oil and vinegar balance the strong flavours.


With the pile of parsley that I still have outside battling the frost I decided to make a batch. In fact, I made a double batch since I have so much (my food processor made it super easy).


I might make some more if I’m home this week and pass it around to friends. Good old The Joy of Cooking had a recipe, and since I’ve never had it before, I don’t know how it compares to others. But I like it and sometimes that’s what’s important.

By the way, Tara had the right idea; it does taste great on steak (and chicken too).


Chimicurri     makes 1 ¼ cup           (from The Joy of Cooking)
½ cup olive oil
¼ cup red wine vinegar
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/3 cup parsley or cilantro, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 tbs oregano (optional), finely chopped
Salt to taste
¼ tsp ground red pepper
¼ tsp ground black pepper
Whisk together the oil and vinegar. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover and let stand for 2-3 hrs to allow the flavours to develop.

0 comments:

Post a Comment